Monday, November 19, 2018

Week Thirty One: 10.13.18 Part II


Part II
  Mom always has to complain about something. Whether it’s my dirty room, or if it’s something even more abstract… That’s how she shows that she cares. And it took me a very long time to understand how to function with the way she speaks. Many people think that I’m rude to my parents.
  I won’t deny it. I treat them pretty roughly but we’re not close and when we are together… Well, my mother is going deaf. She can’t hear me when I say something, so she’ll make me repeat it, around the third or fourth time, I’m shouting and then she gets upset because she can tell I’m yelling. But she heard me.
  It has always been a constant battle with my mother. And it took someone else to figure out why my mother and I have never been able to sync. I knew that mom and I had a culture barrier. But I didn’t know how to fix it and I didn’t know how to approach it. Until Volour laid it out for me. I was so annoyed. It took him a moment to see the culture effect on me and how it reflects on the ways my mother acts.
  Anyway, so the first position of taking care of Inang was designated to my Uncle Krilo. My mother is the financially ‘responsible’ one, and lastly, my Uncle Toto is the one who is considered the highest authority. This position as ‘highest authority’ cannot be given to a female. My family in San Emilio is very old fashion so men are ‘the most responsible’. When the truth is, you cannot be given the ability to be responsible. That is something that is learned. My Uncle Toto has pouted in front of me. I don’t think he’s done that in front of many people. I found it amusing.
  This grown man, about to becoming one of the financial responsible people in the family was pouting. I asked my uncle what I needed to do. And he sat there! He was fed up with what had not happened yet. He was stressed. It got to the point where I told him, “Alright. I’ll be right back.” And I proceeded to do what I needed to do without him.
  That act, usually is considered very rude in my family. I did not allow him to choice what I was going to do next. Instead, I saw how he was acting and acted on my own. I got the files I needed and returned to my uncle. He was surprised. Oh, she… got things done. Yes! Yes I did.
  My Uncle Toto and I have not be able to sync much. He reminds me of my mother. And he’s strict. I can handle him being strict. But. I can’t handle his unpredictable way of acting. He has a habit of inserting himself into people’s schedule and expect them to make him the first priority and I can’t do that all the time. I try to adjust to him but sometimes the fact is, people can’t stop what they are doing in the middle of doing whatever it is. Some can, but it depends on what they are schedule to do at that time.
  This next generation of responsibility is falling into my hands. At first, I did not think that I was considered one of the people in power but the truth, I’m my mother in this case. I’m the next person in the generation to take over that spot as of right now. I get the money from my mother and disperse it where she wants it to go. The next person who should be in this position is my eldest sister. However, I am the one who is physically in the Philippines which is why the responsibility falls into my hands.
  My cousin Malikai is the next person chosen to be in authority. However, he has never had to finance himself. He has never had a job. And he doesn’t know how to prioritize. I’ve asked him to get something done for me because I have to depend on him. However, he has not followed through. And at this point, I’m going to assume it will not get done.
  When I first got here I didn’t like my cousin. He is closer to my mother than I will ever be. He might as well be her son. I don’t feel that connection with my mother. I felt jealous. But I don’t feel that way anymore. The whole point of these positions in the family is to get as many people over to the U.S or get them overseas so that they can give back.
  Another thing I should mention is that if a person is gay or lesbian (mainly gay so for the guys)… They are not allowed to have one of these positions. The most responsible cousin I have is gay. And he has a degree, he knows what it’s like to work, he makes his own money… He is the one I consider to try and get to America because he has earned it.
  The next person who is supposed to get to the U.S after my Uncle Toto is my cousin Malikai. However… I’m going to let my mother deal with that because I see how my family acts here and I don’t like it. I like that we all eat together. I like that I have a family. But what I don’t like is to most of my family members, I’m not a person. I’m a coin purse.
  This is something that I’m not supposed to do but if my mother says that I need to give to a person, I don’t always. I don’t always because I know their habits. I know what will happen to that money. It’s like magic. To these people, they don’t know how to invest in their future with their money. They don’t know how to save…. These people are not financially literate.
  If it was up to me, I would teach them how to be financially literate. I didn’t learn how to be financially literate from my mom. I learned my eldest sister. She was the one who taught me how to finance. It’s simple really. When you get your money, you put the bills first, and you make a goal for a backup. That way, after you’ve hit your backup plan amount, and you’re able to pay your bills, the rest can be invested in something else. But not everyone gets that.
I try to keep each post to a one thousand word average so this is part two or three. If you did not read part one the link is here (link). Thank you all for tuning it. You’ll hear from me soon.

DJ/Cho/Nar


No comments:

Post a Comment